Ten Commandments for Kids
Ten Commandments for Kids
Based on Bible Verses: Exodus 20
1. “You shall have no other gods before Me” (NIV) Do not put other things like TV, games, and sports, before God.
2. “You shall not make for yourself an idol...you shall not bow down to them, nor worship them” (NIV). Do not allow things that you enjoy doing come between your serving Jesus, going to church, and reading your bible.
3. “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God” (NIV) Be careful how you use the name “Jesus” and “God”. When you get angry, this is not the time to use “God” or “Jesus” disrespectfully. Use these names when you are praying to God or sharing Jesus with others.
4. “Remember the Sabbath day, by keeping it holy” (NIV). Go to church, read you bible, pray, visit the sick, and rest. Be sure to put Jesus first. Our bodies need a time to rest to be refreshed for another week.
5. “Honor your father and your mother” (NIV). Obey what your parents tell you to do in the Lord. Show your teachers and parents respect by listening and obeying them.
6. “You shall not murder” (NIV). Do not intentionally plan to do harm to anyone out of spite or anger– EVER!
7. “You shall not commit adultery” (NIV). When you get older and marry a wife or husband, be faithful to them. Love them and treat them with respect. Never wish that you could leave them and get a new husband or wife. God wants you to work things out between each other and to love each other.
8. “You shall not steal” (NIV). Do not take pencils at school. Do not take anything that does not belong to you – ever! Do not pretend you did something good to get the credit – that is stealing someone else’s recognition.
9. “You shall not give false testimony (lie) about your neighbor” (NIV). Telling anything that is untrue is a lie. Acting like something is a certain way when it is not, is a lie. Pretending that you are sick when you are well is a lie.
10. “You shall not covet” (NIV).You should not seek your neighbor's house, toys, boats, games, talents or anything that belongs to others. If you see things that other people have and always have to have them too you will be an unhappy person – never satisfied. You need to be careful – this leads to coveting. God is not pleased with this. When someone gets something new, be happy for them – not envious.
Questions for Discussion:
1. How can we have other gods before God in Heaven?
2. In what ways can we keep Sunday for God?
3. How do you have difficulty honoring your father or mother or any other adult?
4. What should we do if somone else has someting that we want?
© June 2008 Kidzministry.net Jeanne McIntosh. All rights reserved.